AUCHINLECK Talbot assistant manager Allan McLuckie admitted that Saturday's Scottish Junior Cup win wasn't pretty, but the team got the job done.

But the 14-time champions got their name in the hat for the fourth round of the competition - and that was the objective.

Second in command McLuckie spoke to Auchinleck Talbot's social media team after the match, which the East Ayrshire side won on penalties after a 1-1 draw inside 90 minutes.

It was far from plane sailing with Tommy Sloan's side having to fight back from a goal down in the match.

Sam Muirhead headed home from a corner just after the half hour mark - as the home Aberdeen based side looked to cause a major upset.

However, Bryan Boylan capitalised on a defence error little over five minutes later to ensure Bridge of Don had little time to sit on their lead.

After going in level at half time, Talbot were looking to kick on in the second 45 - but once again their opponents were not going to be turned over easily.

In fact, as Neil Slooves received a dubious red card on the hour mark, the match could have easily turned into a day to forget.

Bridge of Don even had the perfect chance to go ahead only minutes later, only their attacker blast a penalty kick wide.

That was the final big chance for either side, with the 90 minutes fizzling out and spot kicks required to separate the two teams.

It was time for a hero and up stepped goalkeeper Aidan Glavin, who saved two of the home sides four efforts. It meant that when Connor Boyd slotted home Talbot's fifth penalty, they had won the shootout 4-2.

It was far from a perfect performance for the East Ayrshire side, but getting through was all that mattered to assistant boss McLuckie.

He told Talbot's social media team: “The main objective was to get into the next round, was it a pretty game? No, but we are there.

“We’ve got big Aidan (Glavin) to thank for that, so we are delighted.

“They were a very physical side and it was difficult to play through them. They sat in and we couldn’t get them out.

“The pitch was really bumpy and we couldn’t get the ball wide enough.

“Unfortunately we didn’t play as well as I thought we could play but we’re through into the next round.”

While McLuckie also looked to thank Talbot's unbelievable travelling support following the match - as well as the club's committee who had arranged for the players to stay up north prior to the tie.

It will be a small matter of a match closer to home this weekend for Talbot as they make the short trip to face old rivals Cumnock at Townhead Park in the WoSFL Premier Division. The match kicks off at 2pm.

Full match highlights and reaction can be viewed online via the club's YouTube channel.