THERE are many dramatic moments in a football season — penalty shoot-outs, giant killing, cup finals and many more.

The handful of fans at Burnside Park on Saturday witnessed two such scenarios, a candidate for goal of the season and a last minute equaliser.

Muirkirk’s players, coaching staff and fans were stunned at Maybole’s goal, with the last kick of the ball, which is an indicator of how much they have progressed.

Manager Kevin Muirhead told the Chronicle after the match: “We are gutted today to draw 2-2 — it was an absolute sickener.

“When you consider that, in one of the first matches after we had taken over, Maybole beat us 9-1 at the start of November.

“That shows the extent of the turnaround and the dressing room is totally silent as everyone is so gutted at the draw.

“But that will stand us in good stead for next season — there are players that I have identified as quality, who I will try and bring in pre-season.

“There has been a massive clear out here with only two players left from the squad that I inherited.

“We assessed what we had when we arrived and decided on a rebuild — some of the players moved on and joined George Grierson at Saltcoats.”

Working with the bare bones of a squad Muirhead and his coaches, Brian Roberts and Mark O’Neill, have turned the club around.

Muirhead had said that a win in the final league match against Ardeer would set his side up nicely for next season.

His team obliged with a 1-0 win away from home on Monday evening, to give ‘Kirk an eighth place finish in the Ayrshire District League.

Looking ahead to next season, he added: “I know the Central League inside out and, as we are going to be up against 10 teams from there, that will also help us.

“We are looking forward to the challenge with the added advantage of having a full pre-season with the team.

“Muirkirk had played six games already when we joined the club — our target was to finish best of the bottom four and we have done that with room to spare.

“As the season progressed we wanted to catch Maybole in seventh place but we might have came straight back down again.

“That gives us something to work towards next time round.”

Fans were entertained by a match full of talking points, including Andrew Murray’s long throws when his run started from the terracing and a superb goal to put ‘Kirk two-up and looking to be cruising.

Murray took advantage of a gap in the boundary fence in his run in on several occasions, leading to the first goal.

Later on, Curtis Baxter lofted the ball from almost the half way line, in front of the home dug out, and it sailed over a despairing keeper...but did he mean it?

“It was most definitely a shot. I looked up and saw the space — and the keeper off his line — and I thought ‘I have nothing to lose’ and just went for it.

“The result was disappointing but, having played six games in 12 days, it is hard going.

“But there are lots of positives and hopefully we can kick on next season — we have already went through the teething process with the new coaching team coming in,” he said.