BT West Division 2



Hosts Cumnock thumped Clydebank in the first game at Broomfield this year.

Despite being near the bottom of the table, Clydebank are a team Cumnock have struggled against for a number of years — most recently a 24-18 defeat which put to an end Cumnock’s seven-game unbeaten run.

The mud at Broomfield meant this game was going to be for the purist, handling was put to the test as the ball resembled a bar of soap.

Cumnock started the brighter of the two sides, camping themselves inside Clydebank’s half for the first 10 minutes before a high tackle from Clydebank drew the penalty which Jack Reilly kicked over for the three points.

Cumnock found themselves back up the field shortly after with a break up the left wing by Connor Hill, Clydebank turned the ball over but a sloppy kick gave Cumnock the lineout inside the Clydebank 22-metre line. Cumnock had a cleverly worked maul which caught Clydebank napping and it was Jayson McMillan who touched down as he was driven over the line by the Cumnock forwards.

Cumnock had another scoring opportunity when Clydebank were penalised for the tackler not releasing. Jack Reilly was on hand for the kick to keep the scoreboard ticking over.

Prop Steven Lowrie was putting in the hard work chasing kicks and making a few very important tackles whilst 2nd row Stephen Robson had a few silky touches and one deft kick which kept the Clydebank defence on their toes.

Sean Houston came on late in the first half and made an immediate impact with a surging 20-metre run straight up the middle of the field. It was a messy game with all of the scoring opportunities belonging to Cumnock but the Ayrshire side hadn’t finished off their chances and Clydebank were still clinging on in the game with the scoreboard at 13-0.

The second half started much like the first as Clydebank were pinned back in their own half a try scoring opportunity went begging as Gareth Polland drove over the try-line but the ball was deemed to be held up.

Cumnock were bringing a huge amount of physicality to the game, a prominent example was when a Clydebank player claimed an overthrown ball at the line out before being poleaxed by the hit coming from Sean Houston.

Robbie McLaren robbed the ball from the Clydebank number eight as the ball spilled out from the retreating Clydebank scrum, McLaren went on the run and used his footwork to beat the first defender before executing a simple two-on-one to put Aiden Kerr in for the try in the corner. Reilly missed the conversion but Cumnock were beginning to hit their stride.

Cumnock were in for their third try after a break up the blindside of the ruck by Aiden Kerr, Kerr passed the ball onto Steven Lowrie who drew the man and passed onto the Connor Hill. Hill just had the fullback to beat and powered over the top of him before sauntering in for the score.

Cumnock were on the hunt for their fourth try with the play set deep in the Clydebank half. Clydebank had a few scrums which were targeted by the Cumnock pack, the referee reset the collapsed scrum several times as Clydebank failed to hold the Cumnock drive.

The ball did eventually come back for Clydebank who cleared their lines to end the game at 25-0 to Cumnock.

After enjoying so much possession, Cumnock will see the score as a bonus point gone a-begging.

Next Saturday, second placed Cumnock host league leaders Paisley at Broomfield.

The visitors sit just three points ahead of their hosts, who have a game in hand.