A woman who tried to sell a baby and later kept a toddler in a cage has been found dead after kicking out at cops for ‘taking her children away’.

Claire Boyle's body was discovered after police were called to a property in Ochiltree on Thursday, April 4.

The discovery was made just days after Boyle appeared in court for sentencing on charges of abusive and threatening behaviour towards staff at University Hospital Ayr.

The 37-year-old, who had previous convictions for child neglect, and for trying to sell a baby for £1 million on Ayr High Street, hurled abuse at hospital staff on August 29 and October 25, 2022.

The procurator fiscal depute told the hearing at Ayr Sheriff Court: “At 10.30am on August 29, the accused was found walking on a grass verge with slashed wrists.  

“She was conveyed to Ayr Hospital and on arrival started shouting at staff in the accident and emergency department.

"A nurse requested she calm down. Police assisted and left. The accused again started shouting and asked to calm down and refused."

She stated: “I’ll take both you down, I don’t give a f***”, while struggling with police officers. 

“She was placed in a police van. 

“The accused was cautioned and charged. She stated that 'they have taken my child away'. 

Describing the October incident, the fiscal depute said: “At 8.15am, police attended the accident and emergency department on another matter.

"The accused entered to check herself in and in the waiting room started shouting and swearing, 'f**k you, you p***k'.   

"When cautioned and charged she stated 'f**k you, I want a lawyer'. 

Defence solicitor John Gallagher told the court: “Claire Boyle, you will see, has a lengthy schedule of conditions and disposals. 

“She is currently subject to a community payback order on matters at Kilmarnock." 

Sheriff Mhairi MacTaggart said Boyle was "very, very close to custody" for her "appalling behaviour" towards the emergency workers.

Officers said there were no suspicious circumstances surrounding Ms Boyle's death.  

Kilmarnock Sheriff Court heard previously how she had suffered serious injuries after falling from a window at Queen Elizabeth University Hospital.

Boyle was found guilty in 2021 of holding a child in a cage following a trial at Kilmarnock Sheriff Court.

She was ordered to undertake 250 hours of unpaid work three years ago after police found that she and her partner, Timothy Johnstone, then aged 60, had been keeping the youngster in a cage at an address in Newmilns.  

She had denied the charges but was found guilty, though she was spared a prison sentence.

A Police Scotland spokesperson said: "Around 7am on Thursday, April 4, police were called to a property in the Main Street area of Ochiltree, following the sudden death of a woman.

"There are not believed to be any suspicious circumstances and a report was submitted to the procurator fiscal."