An aggressive Auchinleck lout who assaulted a police officer after refusing to leave a hospital has been told to stay out of trouble for the next six months.

Michael Jannetts kicked out at a constable having earlier ignored medical staff's repeated requests to exit Inverclyde Royal Hospital's accident and emergency department.

The 39-year-old admitted two charges of assault and threatening or abusive behaviour following the incident in July 2021.

Jannetts, of Arran Drive, appeared from custody at Greenock Sheriff Court on November 15, having failed to turn up for a previous sentencing hearing.

Defence solicitor Aidan Gallagher said his client had lost his mobile phone and wallet and did not have the funds to travel to the court.

Procurator fiscal depute Anne Marie Hicks told the court: "At 10.55pm on the date in question, the accused was in the accident and emergency department at Inverclyde Royal after his mother was admitted to hospital.

"Due to Covid restrictions at the time, he was told to wait in the reception area and he took umbrage to this.

"He became argumentative and hostile and staff asked him to leave.

"Staff suspected him to be under the influence and police attended after he refused to leave."

When officers turned up at the Greenock hospital, Jannetts was "immediately hostile" towards them, shouting that he was "going nowhere" and calling the constables "f*****g bams" and "idiots".

The fiscal depute said: "He was again instructed to leave but refused and continued to shout and swear at police.

"Jannetts was arrested and removed from the hospital and taken to a marked police car.

"On approaching the vehicle he kicked out against the car using force to push himself back against police."

The court heard that Jannetts was taken down by police and officers were concerned because he struck his head on the ground.

He was taken to A&E and while there he continued his abuse of police, calling them "scum".

Ms Hicks added: "While awaiting treatment on a bed he became agitated, raised his legs and kicked an officer on the chest."

The PC suffered no injuries as a result of the assault, while Jannetts had grazing and swelling to his forehead and left eyebrow after his fall.

Sheriff Anthony McGeehan told him: "I understand your concerns for your mother that evening, however, that nor intoxication is an an excuse for your aggressive behaviour, especially in relation to assaulting a police officer."

Sentence was deferred for six months for Jannetts to be of good behaviour and he will return to court on May 15 next year.