A YOUNG WOMAN suffered broken neck and collar bones after a drunken driver crashed his car in Cumnock while nearly seven times the legal limit.

Jaye Butler was only a provisional licence holder when he slammed into a parked vehicle in Hearth Road last November after going drinking in the town.

A court heard the injured woman was a passenger in the car Butler, 21, had been driving on the night of November 23 last year.

Butler, of McQueen Avenue, pleaded guilty at Ayr Sheriff Court to charges of driving dangerously, while drunk and while only holding a provisional licence.

Procurator fiscal depute Alexander Fraser said: “On the evening of November 23, the accused was on a night out in the Royal Hotel, Cumnock drinking alcohol. 

“They decided to return to the accused’s home address for more alcohol. He put the drink in a bag and left.

"The accused asked ‘do you want to take the car?’ The witness then got in.

“At 4am the accused collided with a parked vehicle on the left side of the road. Witnesses heard a loud bang and the girl got out the passenger side.

“Police were contacted and on attending saw the witness laying on her back. 

“They noted two other cars were damaged at the side of the road.

“The cost of damage was £500 to one vehicle. The witrness had a stiff neck and back.

"The accused stated he had been drinking and driving the vehicle. He stated that he did not hold a full driving licence. 

“After a roadside breath test he was arrested and conveyed to Crosshouse Hospital. He was then conveyed to Kilmarnock police office.  

“The witness suffered fractured neck and collar bones, as well as bruising and swelling. 

“He was found to have 152 microgrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath.” 

The legal limit in Scotland is just 22 microgrammes.

Sheriff Desmond Leslie said that “for what it’s worth”, he would disqualify Butler from driving.

Sentence was deferred for criminal justice social work reports and Butler, who was represented by defence solicitor Robert Logan, was released on bail.

He will return to court to face sentence at a later date.