RESIDENTS in New Cumnock had to be evacuated from their homes after a fire nearby.

Some residents on Mounthope Terrace were moved out of their homes as a precaution as Scottish Fire and Rescue Service (SFRS) crews tackled a blaze.

Fire chiefs said a bin fire had affected a gas meter near the properties.

Workers from Scottish Gas Networks are also believed to have attended the site to make sure the mains network in the area was safe.

A spokesperson for the SFRS: "We were alerted at 4.28pm on Wednesday, 12 July, to reports of a fire in the open at Mounthope Terrace, New Cumnock.

"Operations control mobilised two fire appliances to the scene where firefighters worked to extinguish a bin on fire which had affected a nearby mains gas meter.

"Properties nearby were evacuated as a precaution.

"Crews remained in attendance until the area was safe to leave."

SGN have also been contacted for comment.