A wind farm worker who dodged jail for abducting and torturing a man later threatened to burn down a couple’s home with their child inside.

Liam Loy made the menacing threats over the phone after his partner was “laughed at” during a Facebook call on November 27.

The 25-year-old appeared at Ayr Sheriff Court for sentencing last week after pleading guilty to the charge – and also to an allegation of drug possession.

Police found Loy in possession of two grams of cocaine in his car outside his home in Dippol Crescent, Auchinleck.

When Loy returned to court for sentencing on January 18, procurator fiscal depute Chris Munro said: “At 3.30am the female partner of the accused was on a Facebook call.

“During the call he heard other parties laughing before the call ended.

“Five minutes later another call was received from the accused, confronting the Crown witness for laughing.

“The witness spoke to the accused, trying to explain the circumstances, when he began shouting and swearing at the witness.

“He made threats to attend their home address and burn it down with their child within, and made further threats of violence.

“The witnesses returned home and contacted police.

“He made no comment to caution and charge.”

John Gallagher, defending, said: “He was with his partner in the house watching TV and his partner was contacted out of the blue by a number of persons.

“The locus must have been where the other persons were. It was noisy and a number of other persons were on the call and became verbally abusive.

“He felt they were making a fool of her. Some words were exchanged. He has known them a number of years.

“He took them to task but in doing so overstepped the line.”

Loy was previously put on a community payback order (CPO) after he admitted attacking a man at New Cumnock Working Men’s Club, Afton Bridgend and Lime Road in New Cumnock and elsewhere in Ayrshire on August 23,2019.

Acting along with others, he chased and grabbed the victim before dragging him across ground and forcing him into a vehicle.

He previously admitted attacking the man on August 23, 2019 at New Cumnock Working Men’s Club, Afton Bridgend, Lime Road and elsewhere in Ayrshire.

While acting with others, Loy chased and grabbed the victim before dragging him across ground and forcing him into a vehicle.

They restrained him, then drove him to various locations across Ayrshire against his will before repeatedly punching and kicking him, covering his head and repeatedly hitting him with a trolley jack, hitting him on the head with a screwdriver and repeatedly jumping on his head, leaving him seriously injured.

The victim was also spat upon and threatened with violence during the ordeal, and was robbed of a mobile phone.

Loy was ordered to carry out 280 hours of unpaid work - just 20 less than the maximum allowed - as an alternative to prison.

But in October he was given what appeared to be a final warning after failing to turn up for his unpaid work – with the court hearing he had secured a job on a wind farm.

After Sheriff Shirley Foran noted that Loy’s CPO “doesn’t seem to be going well”, Mr Gallagher highlighted issues with childcare and his employment in completing community service.

Sheriff Foran ordered Loy to complete another 100 hours unpaid work as an alternative to custody, to be completed in 12 months.