FIRE crews attended a blaze on Auchinleck's Main Street last night (June 22).

Reports on social media suggested that the fire could have been coming from the empty Railway Hotel building.

The once-thriving pub, wedding and events venue closed its doors for good last August.

READ MORE: Last orders at the Railway as hotel shuts doors for good

Despite the concern from those nearby, the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service (SFRS) have since confirmed to the Chronicle that the fire was coming from a collection of rubbish close to the abandoned building.

One engine was sent to extinguish the fire close to the derelict property.

A SFRS spokesperson said: “We were alerted at 7.50pm on Wednesday, June 22 to reports of rubbish on fire near a building at Main Street, Auchinleck.

“Operations Control mobilised one fire appliance and firefighters extinguished a fire affecting rubbish at the rear of a derelict property.

“There were no reported casualties and crews left after ensuring the area was made safe.”

READ MORE: Here's what YOU decided should happen to the empty Railway Hotel building