Dog walkers and animal lovers have been warned to be on high alert after a dog had to be taken to the vet after eating rat poison in Patna.

The poison was laced through cut-up hot dog sausages, that were left along a popular walking trail along the Rover Doon in the village.

The affected black Labrador had to be taken to the vet after eating some of the meat, which can be seen with a noticeable discolouring in the middle.

Cumnock Chronicle: Councillor Drew Filson alerted residentsCouncillor Drew Filson alerted residents

The dog's owner contacted local independent councillor, Drew Filson, who then alerted residents via social media.

In a Facebook post Cllr Filsonsaid: "Rat poison found in cut up hot dog links on river side walk.

"I’ve asked the council enforcement team to sweep this area for any more.

"In the meantime take care."

PATNA DOG OWNERS DANGER WARNING Rat Poison Found In Cut Up Hot Dog Links On River Side Walk. I’ve Asked The Council Enforcement Team To Sweep This Area For Any More. In The Meantime Take Care.

Posted by Drew Filson for the Doon Valley on Wednesday, 22 June 2022

An East Ayrshire Council spokesperson said: "East Ayrshire Council can confirm that it is aware of this incident and will take all appropriate action, including sweeping the area. 

"The Council would also urge local dog walkers to keep their dogs on the lead and to be extra vigilant when walking in this area."