PATIENTS at Crosshouse Hospital will not be served hot meals after a fire ripped through the building’s electrics.

Hundreds of staff had to be evacuated from Crosshouse Hospital after a blaze broke out in the building.

Firefighters were called to the hospital just after 7am on Monday, August 12, after the fire started in the plant room in the hospital kitchen.

Hospital chiefs say while the fire was minor it has done “extensive damage” to the hospital’s electrics, meaning the kitchen are unable to serve up hot food to patients.

John Wright, Director for Corporate Services said a ‘contingency plan’ for food had been put in place.

He said: “There was a minor electrical fire within a plant room located in the kitchen area at University Hospital Crosshouse. While the fire was minor and extinguished quickly by the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service there has been extensive damage to the electrical switchgear.

“Contingency plans are in place to minimise any disruption to patients and staff as a result of the fire however this will impact on the provision of hot meals to patients who will receive hot soup and a choice of sandwiches. Staff will be able to purchase snacks from the Volunteer’s shop and tea room.

“We are working hard to resolve this situation as soon as possible.”

Five fire engines rushed to the scene and managed to tackle the blaze quickly, meaning wards did not need to be evacuated.

Sources told the Chronicle smoke could be seen from outside the hospital grounds.

A Scottish Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: “We were alerted at 7.05am on Monday, August 12 to an automatic fire alarm signal at University Hospital Crosshouse.

“In total, Operations Control mobilised five fire appliances to the scene, where crews extinguished a small fire within the kitchen area.

“There were no reported casualties.

“Crews ventilated the building involved and left at 8.41am after ensuring the area was safe.”

Have you been affected? Call our newsdesk on 01294 447521.