MBM Vets Mauchline is advising dog owners to keep an eye on their pets swallowing sand if they are playing on the beach.

Swallowing sand can cause intestinal impactions as it builds up in the small intestine causing a blockage.

A spokesperson for the vets said: “Signs include vomiting and passing sand in the stool, and your dog may need medical support such as intravenous fluids and pain relief. In the worst cases, surgery may be needed to remove the blockage.

“If you dog starts to vomit after a trip to the beach, please call us straight away on 01290 550452.”