A MUM is fighting for her life in hospital from the flu after mould in her Muirkirk council flat damaged her lungs three years ago.

Margaret Stirling’s family have had to say their goodbyes twice but the 29-year-old dodged death each time.

It comes after the mum of two became extremely ill from influenza for a second time and now also has a blood clot in her leg.

The first time she contracted the disease she was left stranded in hospital while pregnant after her doctor warned that being exposed to the black fungus growing on her bedroom wall could kill her and her baby.

Her partner Stephen Hamilton, 30, has had to cut way back on work to look after their children while Margaret clings to her life in hospital again.

They aren’t sure if the mould is the reason she has gotten influenza twice, but say it could have ‘majorly contributed’ to her struggle to fight it off.

The family moved from Muirkirk to Cumnock three years ago.

Now the situation is causing a huge amount of worry and stress on Stephen as he has had to travel across the country to different hospitals and raise the children.

He said: “It’s a total nightmare, I’ve had to cut back on work which is hard financially and I’m worried all the time.

When she got ill again we thought it was a chest infection but the hospital confirmed the influenza was back. We don’t know if the damage from the mould has caused her illness but it could have majorly contributed.”

“She’s had to be on been on kidney dialysis, ventilators, and oxygen machines. Now she can’t even get the treatment that has already saved her life ever again.

Since she has had it twice already the scar tissue won’t let doctors access the main artery they need. So it can’t save her anymore. It’s rare you even need it twice, so we are hoping she doesn’t need it again but we can’t be sure.

“Now we want to raise awareness and want people to know it’s so important people get their flu jabs.

You can donate here: https://www.gofundme.com/xphxf-maggie

A spokesperson for the council said: "The Council was made aware of a housing problem back in 2016 and acted to resolve this matter to the satisfaction of the tenants.

"Since 2016, the Council has not been made aware of any further issues and therefore cannot comment on matters that may have arisen during this time.

"We have clear lines of communications with our tenants and always give reasonable consideration to genuine concerns when they are raised through the appropriate channels."

You can donate here: https://www.gofundme.com/xphxf-maggie