Ayrshire Weekly Press Cup Quarter-Final



By Stewart McConnell

A GUARD of honour was laid on for Girvan, Super League First Division champions, by hosts Cumnock before the game on Wednesday.

However 'Nock put a slight damper on the post-match trophy presentation by outgunning their visitors and reaching the semi-finals.

The first chance came in six minutes when visiting player James Hilton shot just over the bar from 20 yards.

A minute later the hosts went ahead when Steven Crawford headed home a cross from eight yards.

Cumnock were unlucky in 11 minutes when a Callum McRobbie effort from 25 yards was brilliantly saved by Scott Johnston.

As the hosts kept pressing a Keir Samson effort was headed off the line by a Girvan defender.

'Nock again came close in 23 minutes when Josh Watt shot inches wide from 16 yards.

Girvan spurned a golden opportunity in 28 minutes when Sean Robertson sent a volley wide from 12 yards.

Jack McDowall turned Crawford inside out before sending a 12-yard effort past the post two minutes later.

In 33 minutes home player Adam Hunter and Hilton were booked for an off-the-ball dust-up although the Cumnock player was lucky not to be red-carded after appearing to punch his opponent.

Girvan levelled in style in 38 minutes when Robert Patterson thundered home a volley from 16 yards.

Steven Auld made a run for Girvan before hitting the post from 10 yards in 49 minutes.

Cumnock were awarded a penalty in 54 minutes when Steven Auld was adjudged to have tripped Watt inside the box and Watt dusted himself down to net from the spot.

A minute later Keir Samson sent a volley into the top corner from 25 yards.

In 68 minutes Jamie Ballantyne hit the post from inside the box for Girvan.

Johnston made a superb save to deny Watt two minutes late and then foiled McRobbie from 10 yards in 77 minutes. A minute later at the other end, Patterson shot over the bar from 12 yards.

Auld saw his 20-yard shot deflected over the bar in 85 minutes.

Home trialist Doug McMaster rounded off the scoring as he slotted home from 10 yards in 87 minutes.