Ardagh Glass Sectional League Cup Semi-final

Glenafton Athletic 1

Hurlford United 0

GLENAFTON Athletic reached the first cup final of the season as they brushed Hurlford United aside at Loch Park.

A replay of the Junior Cup final awaits after Auchinleck Talbot beat Irvine Victoria in the other semi-final.

Joe Andrew bagged the only goal of the game early on but Glens could and should have been high and dry before half time.

They could have been in front inside the opening minute. Cammy Marlow played in Mick McCann who was strong in the challenge with the defender. The keeper made the rash decision to come off his line and McCann was able to get past his marker and slot the ball into the empty net but the referee awarded Hurlford the free-kick for the challenge on the defender.

Glens didn't have to wait long though as they went ahead inside eight minutes. The ball almost fell for Marlow after Conor Lynass's effort was blocked. Marlow was able to get the ball to Andrew, with the help of a Lynass flick, and he smashed the ball beyond Ally Brown.

However, Marlow was injured in the build up and will now almost certainly miss Glens' Scottish Cup tie with Golspie Sutherland on Saturday.

The home side dominated the first half a created several chances but they couldn't find the net. McCann's bicycle-kick went over after 28 minutes and Andrew had a shot saved at the near post on half an hour.

Chris Dallas, who had came on for Marlow, was instrumental at times. His cross was a fraction too high for Lynass before a corner came at Lynass at speed and he could only turn it wide of the post.

Brown made an excellent save from another Lynass chance before an excellent Glens move resulted

in Jamie McKernon's blocked effort falling for Lynass who beat three defenders with a single touch but his shot flew narrowly over.

Hurlford rallied at the start of the second half and Danny Mitchell's effort from range flew over and a couple of Chris McKnight free-kicks caused the Glens defence problems. The first was well saved by Brian McGarrity and the second was easily caught by the keeper.

Glenafton pressed the ball high and won the ball back just outside the Hurlford box on 63 minutes. McKernon set up Lynass but it just wasn't his day as he curled the ball over the bar.

They kept pushing forward and chances fell for Andrew, Dallas and sub Iain McKnight, who should have made it two after a Glens counter attack.

Hurlford created last ditch chances as teams who are 1-0 down in a cup tie tend to do.

The home side had a missive let off after 87 minutes. McGarrity came to the rescue when Mark Roberts far-post header was somehow kept out by the keeper from point-blank range. The Hurlford players appealed that the ball had crossed the line as McGarrity clutched it on the line but the linesman shook his head as Glens easily held on to the win.

GLENAFTON ATHLETIC: McGarrity; McAusland, Cairns, Menzies, McChesney, McKernon, Lynass, Gray, McCann, Andrew, Marlow. Subs: Watsom; Dallas, I McKnight, Park, Potter.

HURLFORD UNITED: Brown; C McKnight, Lidington, G Mitchell, Robertson, Jenkins, McKenzie, D Mitchell, Roberts, Robertson, Watt. Subs: Hodge, Marks, Agnew, Fisher, Molloy.